Sunday, August 28, 2011

Hacks: Starbucsk-like coffee for cents


Enjoying the finer things in life, like a fancy coffee, usually hits the top of the "must go" list if you're saving money. But when I was I student, sometimes people just want to chat over a fancy coffee or a cup of tea. Here are a few of my recipes for fancy, yet inexpensive drinks. Thanks to the power of powdered milk, you get the frothy top without special equipment:

"not-quite" French Vanilla Cappuccino:
2 tsp instant coffee (I recommend a flavoured one like French vanilla)
1 tbsp powdered milk (or see alternative)
1 tbsp sugar
1-1.5 cups boiling water
1/4-1/2 cup milk

Combine the lot and throw it into a blender (I use a magic bullet). Enjoy.
*As an alternative I use 4 tbsp of powdered milk and skip the regular milk completely. It makes for an extra frothy drink.
** If you don't have a blender never fear, simply stir the drink vigorously for a 30 seconds and you will get a similar effect.

"not-quite Caramel Cappuccino:
2 tsp instant coffee (I recommend a flavoured one like french vanilla)
1 tbsp powdered milk (or see alternative)
1 tbsp Caramel Syrup (like you would use to top ice-cream)
1-1.5 cups boiling water
1/4-1/2 cup milk

Frappiccino
Same as for a Cappuccino, except, only add 1/4 cup of boiling water.  Fill the rest of the cup with ice cubes and blend.

No comments:

Post a Comment