Sausage and pepper pasta
Quick meal for those nights you don't want to spend time cooking.
Feeds: 6 hungry people
Cost: $7; $1.17/person
Time: 20 min start to finish
1 lb Italian Sausages, $4.03
1 red bell pepper, sliced, $0.75
1/2 can of diced tomato, $0.37
1 med onion, sliced, $0.25
1 tsp Italian seasoning , $0.05
1 tsp Cajun seasoning, $0.05
1 lb pasta, $1.50
- Put the pot of water on to boil. Once it boils cook pasta according to directions.
- Cook sausages in a large frying pan with about 1 cup of water and medium high. Keep the lid on to keep the water from evaporating. ~ 5 min
- Removed sausages to a plate, and add the onions, pepper, and seasoning to the pan. Leave uncovered so most of the water evaporates.
- Slice the sausages.
- Once most the water evaporates, add the tomatoes and sliced sausages, cover and simmer until the pasta is cooked. ~5-10 min.
- Drain the pasta, top with sausage mix and serve.
Freezing: Freezes quite well, for best results freeze pasta and sauce separately, but it will still be delicious if you freeze them as "TV dinners."