1 partial box phyllo pastry
2 1lb lb(454 g) (454 g) lean ground beef
1tbsp tbsp(15 mL) (15 mL) vegetable oil
2 onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 carrots, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped (I used the rest of my bunch from last week)
1 cup (250 mL) chopped peeled potatoes
1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) dried thyme
1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) dried oregano
2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
1 can tomato paste
2 cups (500 mL) water + 2 heaping tsp bullion
- Brown and drain ground beef, set aside
- Fry onions until lightly brown
- Add all other veggies and spices and fry for 5 more min
- Add water, bullion, and tomato paste
- Simmer covered for about 35 min or until potatoes begin to break up
- Working quickly, spread out a single sheet of phyllo, lightly brush with oil or melted butter and lay a second sheet on top. Repeat till you have 3 sheets.
- Spoon about 1/4 cup of the meat mixture near one edge of the phyllo and fold up the phyllo sheets to create a package.
- Place on a baking sheet and repeat.
- Heat over to 425 F and bake until phyllo is lightly browned.